After my experience with my basset hound, and today’s hospital visit for my mother’s dog- I thought that I needed to clearly lay out what foods you should NOT feed your dog. Having a toddler makes this task harder than it sounds. Believe me. I wanted to share what I have found since I didn’t know many of these were bad for dogs when I started looking. We all know to avoid chocolate (right?!), but here is a list of other items to steer clear from.
1. Onions and garlic: In all forms — powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated — can destroy a dog’s red blood cells, which leads to anemia. An occasional small dose is probably OK, but eating a large amount once or eating smaller servings regularly can cause poisoning. Symptoms of anemia include weakness, vomiting, little interest in food, dullness, and breathlessness.
2. Caffeine: In large enough quantities, caffeine can be fatal for a dog. And, there is no antidote. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, fits, and bleeding. In addition to tea and coffee, caffeine can be found in cocoa, chocolate, sodas, and energy drinks such as Red Bull. It’s also in some cold medicines and pain killers.
3. Grapes AND Raisins: Although it isn’t clear why, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog ill. Repeated vomiting is an early sign. Within a day, the dog will become lethargic and depressed. The best prevention is to keep grapes and raisins off counters and other places your dog can reach.
4. Milk products: On a hot day, it may be tempting to share your ice cream cone with your dog. But if your dog could, it would thank you for not doing so. Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset as well as set up food allergies (which often manifest as itchiness).
5. Macadamia Nuts: Dogs should not eat macadamia nuts or foods containing macadamia nuts because they can be fatal. As few as six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog ill. Symptoms of poisoning include muscle tremors, weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters, vomiting, elevated body temperature, and rapid heart rate. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, possibly leading to death.
Other items to avoid:
- Candy and gum
- Bones (I know! But they are a choking hazard)
- Raw eggs
- Raw meat and fish
- Your medicine
- Persimmons, peaches and plums
Good treats for dogs:
- Green beans
Thanks to pets.webmd.com for some great information!